Sunday, May 1, 2011

Education and Urgency

For awhile now, I've had this nagging sense of urgency. Perhaps it is the product of growing up in a culture with a rather consistent narrative about success, one that lauds the achievements of self-made, twenty-something millionaires as if they were the new lords of the universe. Or perhaps I'm just hanging out with too many people in grad school while I'm still figuring things out. Either way, I ran across the site of designer Alessandro Segalini and found these inspiring words. I can't find them anywhere else, so Alessandro either wrote it or paraphrased it.
I asked the Professor about the secret of success; two words.
The Professor said: “Right decisions.”
Then I asked how I can make the right decision; one word.
The Professor said: “Experience.”
I asked what is the secret of experience.
The Professor said: “Wrong decisions.”
John Dewey - Portrait by Anthony Hare
And in the same place, I found this John Dewey quote. I did a report on John Dewey when I was in grade school and it made a big impression on me, even as a very young person. Finding this quote has inspired me to look further into the life and philosophy of this great educator.
I believe that education is a process of living, and not a preparation for future living.

No comments:

Post a Comment